Someday the hard drive on your computer will crash, stranding thousands of songs on your iPod. Here’s how to get them back onto your PC or Mac.
1) Reinstall iTunes. Launch the app and sign in to your itunes music Store account. Don’t plug in your iPod yet.
2) Install and launch a free trial of PodUtil from KennettNet software (www.kennettnet.co.uk). The app will sit there idling, displaying a Waiting-for-iPods message.
3) Plug in your iPod. PodUtil will detect it and display a window that shows the files and playlists on your ipod. Click the “Choose” button at the bottom of Pod-Util and select your iTunes music folder. Next, click the “Copy Settings” button. In the dialog box that appears, select both “Add Tracks to iTunes” and “Rebuild Playlists.” Click “OK.”
4) Read the Don’t-Steal-Music warning in the lower right corner of PodUtil. Think carefully. Click the “Copy” button below it.
5) Watch as PodUtil copies your songs, videos, playlists, and podcasts back to your computer and then loads them into iTunes. Reauthorize your iTunes music store tracks. Done!
6) Happy? Hit the “Register now” button and send the site £10 (about 18 bucks).